Vintage Metal Hotel Desk Butler's Bell in Two-tone Silver with Ornate Design (c.1860s)
Ring for service....
Add this cool butler's bell from the late 1800s to your collection - it would look great in a curio cabinet or displayed on a shelf. Of course, you could also use this bell in your home to call your kids to dinner, or when you want breakfast in bed.
Just tap the top knob and you have a great loud sound!
This bell is in very good vintage condition, especially considering it is 148 years old. The bell works well and has a nice loud sound. The metal has an aged patina, as shown. The base of the bell has surface rust, as shown. The bell is embossed with "Pat. Aug. 6 1863 & Apr. 8 1868". Please use the ZOOM tool to get a close up view of this item and its condition.
- 1 Metal Hotel Desk Bell (as shown)
- Product Material: Metal
- Product Color: Aged Metal
- Product Dimensions: approximately 3-1/2" diameter x 4-1/2" tall
WHY WE LOVE IT
We love the ornate base of this bell, and the aged patina just enhances it's character!
We can imagine this bell sitting on a desk in a hotel lobby back in the early 20th century - just think of all the people that have rung this bell! Oh the stories it could tell...
Perhaps the bell was in a very elegant, expensive hotel that housed dignitaries from all over the world. The desk clerk would tap the bell, and a bell hop would come running to carry luggage for these visitors. Or maybe the bell was used in a hotel that was frequented by famous actors and actresses while they were traveling or filming scenes for their movies. The bell might have been used in a vacation hotel filled with families enjoying a holiday - with kids that would ring the bell over and over while their parents checked in.
We don't know the real story of this bell's history, but it sure is fun to imagine it's past!
There are lots of cool ways you could use this desk bell!
Here are some ideas:
- Good Deeds Bell - Set the bell in a common place in your home, then when someone in your family does a good deed for someone else, that person rings the bell to let everyone know something good was done. (The world needs more good deeds bells)!
- Toasting Bell - Use the bell at your next dinner party to get the attention of your guests before making a toast. Fun to use at a wedding party, too!
- Timer Bell - Use the bell as a timer in your home. Ring the bell when it's time to call your family to dinner, or to alert your family that your favorite shared program is on. How fun it would be to wake your family up on Christmas morning by ringing the bell. Could be used for birthdays, too.
- Sick Bell - No one likes to be sick in bed of course, but the next time one of your family members is ill, let them use the bell so they can ring for someone when they are stuck in bed and are hungry, thirsty, or need assistance.
We're sure you'll find lots of uses!
What are your creative ideas for using this item? Click one of the social media sharing buttons on this page to share this product, include your creative ideas, and tag us at @thirdshift3 (or hashtag #thirdshiftvintage) so we can read and share your ideas.
More from this collection
RECENTLY VIEWED ITEMS
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Have a Question About This Item?
Click the Ask a Question button, and we will get back to you as soon as possible. For immediate assistance, please use the Live Chat button at the bottom of the screen.